Visiting Anne's Secret Annex: Amsterdam Day 4





Today was my last day in Amsterdam and carrying on with a similar fashion from my last few days, stormed through another several museums. Here is what I thought of my day:

The best bits: 
Her diary inspires and educates millions about the persecution of Jews during the Holocaust, so there was no way I would have a trip to Amsterdam without visiting the Anne Frank Huis Museum. I felt very glad to have booked my ticket online as there was a huge snaking queue outside. I wonder when the degenerative effects of having this extreme footfall will take affect on the house as despite the fact that the house was larger than I anticipated, it was not intended to accommodate millions of people from all corners of the globe visiting every year. I felt incredibly lucky to be in the same rooms that the Franks and Van Fels spent 2 years trapped in and to see her original, red-checked journal. Anne's story is just as moving as when I first read it many years ago.
Add caption
Another museum that was far better than I expected was the Tropenmuseum, which was a museum on different ethnicities around the world. There was a captivating exhibit on iconic images from the National Geographic Magazines, including a documentary on the finding the mesmerising Afghan Girl after 17 years.
Locating the Afghan Girl after 17 years
There was even a huge origami installation in the Great Hall - think 7ft paper birds!
Pretty spectacular
The Amsterdam Cheese Museum turned out just to be a shop giving out numerous free samples which made me pretty happy. It's just across the road the Anne Frank Huis and free to pop in and taste some funky cheeses. 

The worst bits:
The Jewish Historical Museum was not particularly interesting and the Rembrandt Huis didn't impress either as it was so small. I would not recommend there places but since entrance was FREE with the Museumkaart, it wasn't too bad.

So that's it for Amsterdam! I've managed to visit a crazy total of 14 museums in 4 days(!) Next stop Berlin!

Rebecca x

1 comment:

  1. Hey so jealous I wish I was there with you XD x looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Hey cool people, leaving so soon? Why don't you leave a comment? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...