Sight-hopping: Berlin Day 1

While Amsterdam was quaint and compact , Berlin is spacious and completely unique to other European cities I have been to. Overall, it is not a beautiful city as it's turbulent history has meant that it is still in the process of re-building. Little did I know that almost all museums are closed on Mondays, so today was a day of orientating myself around such a vast city with much to offer.

The Best Bits:
Today I managed to see many of the sights from the classical Brandenburg Gates and Charlotteburg Palace, to more modern history as highlighted at Holocaust Memorial for Murdered Jews, the East Side Galley and the Topography of Terror. Since Berlin is huge, I only hopped between locations as I will  get a more in depth understanding of the history later this week when museums are open.
Charlottenburg Palace: classical beauty in an alternative city
Brandenburg Gates and a crane
Holocaust Memorial for Murdered Jews: a poignant experience as the concrete slabs become increasingly towering and overwhelming.
Remains of the Berlin Wall at the East Side Gallery
Vast green spaces right in the centre of Berlin
The Worst Bits:
The biggest bummer of the day was that everywhere is closed on a Monday. Perhaps this was a blessing in disguise as it gave me time to explore freely and get a good overview of what I want to do with the next 4 days of the trip.
Another huge bummer is that I have lost my bag of toiletries with my makeup, shampoo and creams. I left it in our private bathroom in the morning and it was not there in the evening. I am lucky that I have not lost anything that cannot be replaced, but it is still a huge inconvenience and I am mildly annoyed.

That's how travelling goes though; some days you have good days, others are not so good. No matter how well you plan in advance, somethings are bound to go wrong. I think it goes without saying though that I will be locking absolutely everything in my locker tomorrow. Let's see how the tale of the lost toilettries pans out tomorrow.

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey cool people, leaving so soon? Why don't you leave a comment? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...