Dinosaurs and Doner Kebabs: Berlin Day 4

My marathon museum tour is coming to an end and I've saved some of the more niche museums for last. Here are some of the best and worst things that happened today.

The best things
Over this last week or so I have visited SO many museums that I feel like my head will soon explode from all the culture. It's great seeing world-renowned works of art but I personally feel like when you know a little bit of background knowledge about what you are glancing at whilst listening to a posh lady describe the object on the audio guide, it makes the experience far more worthwhile. Since I did product design A-level, we had to learn about design movements and their characteristics, it was fantastic to see authentic furniture, art and graphic design after studying about them from a textbook. Highlights included seeing Marcel Breuer tubular steel chair at the Bauhaus Archiv and organic, whip-lash motive art-nouveau furniture at Bröhan-Museum. I got lazy and did not take any pictures, but I wish I did as I am super interested in design history.
Geometric and functional: the Bauhaus Archiv building
Another museum that I visited today that was meaningful for myself was the Musikinstrumenten-Museum, which is home to a multitude of musical instruments from the 17th Century to current day. As I mentioned yesterday, everywhere in Berlin is eerily quiet so I was the only visitor in the museum for most of the time I was there. Nonetheless, it was a well-worthwhile visit for any music-lover like myself.
Hurdy-gurdys to harpsichords, music boxes to mandolins, the Musikinstrumenten-Museum is a treasure trove for music enthusiasts
 A third exciting museum was the Museum fuer Naturkunde, the Natural Science Museum. Once you enter the hall you are greeted by an 17.27m high dinosaur - the Guinness World record for the tallest mounted dinosaur skeleton. The museum also featured the usual collection of taxidermy animals (including the famous Knut from Berlin Zoo) and fancy rocks. 
This Guinness World Record holding, 150 million year old dinosaur stands 17.27m tall - I can't even fit it in frame!
The creepiest room I've ever been in - the wet room in the Museum fuer Naturkunde
Half-eaten kebab photo as I already began devouring it
Arguably the best thing to happen to me was that I managed to stumble across this awesome Kebab shop! Since Berlin is such an empty city, I was surprised to find so many people - mostly Turkish locals - queuing up in this one kebab shop just outside Sophie-Charlotte Platz U-bahn station, called XL Kebap Sophie. I decided to go for one myself (a vegetarian doner that cost only 2.40Euro) and it was heavenly - I am salivating just thinking back to it. The kebab was really large and the walls of the kebab shop featured pictures of many different celebrities devouring their deliciousness. It's a shame I've only just found the place as I doubt I will have the opportunity to go back.
Berlin Wall Memorial
My trip is nearing it's end. Tomorrow it is goodbye Germany and hello Sweden. Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey cool people, leaving so soon? Why don't you leave a comment? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...