New Year's Resolutions for 2014

It is that time of the year again for New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I officially made any last year but I do enjoy setting these as goals and targets I wish to accomplish by the end of the year. If anyone is interested, click here to see the resolutions I made for the year of 2012. 2013 has been a very busy and at times stressful year, but ultimately very rewarding. Key highlights include:

  • January included the trials and tribulations of running my own Young Enterprise company.
  • I can't remember what else I did over February, March and April apart from visiting the Big Bang Science Fair for a second year. 
  • May was  time for hoards of AS exams that turned out fine.
  • June was a fantastic start to the summer with a Headstart summer school at Oxford University for materials science where I met some of the most talented, multifaceted and friendly people I have ever encountered.
  • July is my birthday month where I celebrated at Eton College at the Universities Summer School. Those 14 days were some of the most academically exhausting  (4 hours of homework for some nights) yet enlightening two weeks I have ever experienced. I will never forget the horrific practice interview I had in the morning of my actual birthday, or the surreal sunset party on an island that Eton own that we had in the evening. 
  • I traveled to Madrid in August along with CYO where we had the privilege of playing an open air concert in the medieval town center of Toledo right in front of the facade of the glorious Gothic cathedral. 
  • I scrambled through September, attempting to trawl through hoards of research, doing some frantic essay writing and cutting it very short with deadlines in order to complete my Extended Project on the Millennium Bridge. Luckily all was well by the end of this ordeal.
  • October was the month where I forced myself to decided on where I was planning to apply for university and for what course.
  • November was an relatively uneventful month, apart from attending university interviews and multiple fancy dress parties where I made appearances as a red indian, Ahmed the pizza delivery man and the Cheshire Cat. I have also been busy with preparing for the Physics Aptitude Test and for other presentation evenings .
  • December is drawing to a close. During this month I have attended grueling university interviews at Oxford which I will talk about in further depth at a later date. I also was also part of the orchestra for our school's performance of Wind in the Willows. 
I feel like I have grown up over 2013 and become more confident as a person. Now that 2013 is over, here are my New Years' resolutions for this year. I have only got four this year but I believe that they will all have a profound impact on my life. 

Read 24 books over the course of 2014.
I know this sounds terrible but over my teenage years, I think I have only leisurely read enough books to count on one hand. I used to be a relatively keen reader as a child, annually participating in summer reading challenges but I lost my interest. However, over the later half of 2013, I got back into the habit of regularly reading in order to complete my wider reading specified in my UCAS application and really enjoyed it. I rediscovered the wonders of the library and since I have recently acquired a quite a large pile of books I want to get through as well as book vouchers, so I thought it would be a worthwhile resolution. 24 books may not seem to be a particularly large number, but the books I am currently reading are all pretty heavy reads. 

Cut all sugary drinks and snacks out of my diet.
This may seem quite extreme but I honestly don't really get much enjoyment out of eating sweets or drinking hot chocolate and they are detrimental to many aspects of your health.This ban will include all sweets, chocolate bars, fizzy drinks, sugary hot beverages from the likes of Costa etc, and biscuits. I don't really consume these foods that often anyway as it's only when I have lots of music rehearsals that these items are abundantly supplied. This is when I think it is going to be the most challenging to say no to them. I feel like I have quite good self-discipline but we shall see how this pans out. 

Brush my hair at least once a day.
My hair can now be officially classified as being in the very long category of hair lengths. It is pretty much hip length and thus is more high maintenance that it has been ever previously been. I often avoid brushing my hair as it is painful and the back often gets extremely matted. However, in order to prevent my hair becoming too straggly, I shall attempt to remember to brush it at least one a day.

Get into university.
This is rather self-explanatory. 2014 is hopefully going to be the year where I move out from the same house that I've lived my entire life in move to a fantastic city to study a subject I am absolutely passionate about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey cool people, leaving so soon? Why don't you leave a comment? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...