I Love Tuned Percussion - New Music

Here are some new music discoveries. Again, I compiled this list ages ago, but I have been putting off writing this post until now for some odd reason. I really have no excuse for this as I have officially FINISHED MY GCSEs hallelujah!

All these artists today just make me want to get up and start dancing as they are all within the same genre I reckon. I think my music taste is yet again changing, which is quite exciting as I'm discovering loads of new music, hence why this post is so long!

As I came to write this post, I suddenly realised that I'm absolutely terrible at describing music, so I decided to simply steal quote some descriptions from some professionals.
Charli XCX
Photobucket
She's a huge fashion inspiration too, with her platforms, velvet turtle-necks and round 90s sunglasses.
Interview Magazine describes "You're the One" as being "drenched in signature XCX lush production: heavy '80s synth, cavernous dance beats, pure powerhouse vocals housed by a haunting, industrial, and at times a somewhat mystical atmosphere; her pop sensibilities and penchant for sparkle prevent it from ever diving too deep into the depths of darkness. It's a throbbing dance track with swelling, airy synths and occult-tinged love cries and a whispering rap break."

Now, this is something I totally agree with - she does the whisper rap a billion times better than Justin Bieber. It's sort of what I hoped Marina and the Diamonds' new album would sound like, instead of being rubbish (sorry Marina!). All the songs that I have heard so far by Charli XCX have all been fantastically produced and I think she is definitely one to watch for the future, as well as being my new girl crush.

One of my favourite artists of today Blood Orange also did a remix of "You're the One", featuring some eargasmic glockenspiel smothered with plenty of lush string synth pad. I have a weakness for tuned percussion so I must say, I almost like it better than the original. All in all,  I think that "You're the One" is a fantastic single, my only major criticism is that they should've called it "Dancing in the Dark" instead, as it would've made it more memorable, but I do think that some people may have got it confused with Robyn's single "Dancing on my Own", especially with their stylistic similarities due to working with similar amazing producers.
Haim
Haim are a band of three sisters from California and they make super sweet music. You can also download their entire "Forever" EP for free, which I think is amazing. I think it is about time that all girl bands should make a comeback and I think that they could be the pioneers.
Strip Steve ft. Puro Instinct
I am going to honest and say I have never heard of Strip Steve before, but this track is so feel good and I love the percussive sound at the beginning which runs through the entire track (I don't know what it is, nor how to describe it). Strip Steve does sort of remind me Blood Orange though, but slightly more retro, which takes me onto my next song.
Blood Orange
I've known of this Blood Orange song for a while, but I decided to include it into today's post, as I think the video is pretty epic. It is of a sexy girl who allures in a man and ends up murdering him with with the help of who I assume is the boyfriend, and then dragging him along the streets to take him to a place to bury him.  FUN.
Onra

Onra is a super cool French producer and his "EP’s five tracks meld the snap of vintage jheri curl R&B with squggling disco synths and deeply funky, late-night vibes." ~ Fools Gold Recs. Plus he's very attractive which is a bonus.
Madeon
Madeon is another French guy, who I have alot of love for too. I think his music has universal appeal and just makes me very happy and in a dancing mood. They are really loving him on Radio 1, which I think is great, as he deserves the exposure.
Baio
Baio is a member of Vampire Weekend and this song is from his solo EP. It features an awesome marimba part and has something that sounds like tom toms which makes me very happy since as I said earlier, tuned percussion are amazing.
Eugene McGuinness
I heard this dude first when I heard this positively amazing cover of Lana Del Rey's "Blue Jeans", which I absolutely love so much, but since I have already blogged about that song already so many times (first the original song, then the Blood Orange cover), I thought I might feature another song. His sound is really retro and Thunderbolt is a really great song as I reckon it could be an amazing theme song for a Bond film. Also, I love all the brass in it, the choral elements as well as the short xylophone solo (tuned percussion!).


Peace!


Rebecca x

P.S. I realise that I haven't exactly been persistent with my updating on this blog, and thus I apologise.
P.P.S. I also apologise for the poor expression of this post. This is probably because I've been writing this post for so long that I've gradually lost concentration, so please excuse me if my sentences don't make sense, but I honestly cannot be bothered to check over it all and improve it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey cool people, leaving so soon? Why don't you leave a comment? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...